Mindfulness is the practice of moment to moment awareness.
It is a meditation-based mental practice that with skill, practice and encouragement may bring ease to mental stress.
With a regular MINDFULNESS practice you will become more comfortable with observing difficult thoughts and feelings coming and going without getting entangled or overwhelmed by them.
We all have difficult thoughts and feelings at times. MINDFULNESS is a both a natural and accessible way of making sure that thoughts don’t hurt us.
There are three ways to practise MINDFULNESS requiring different levels of skill & steadfastness.
- LIFESTYLE MINDFULNESS: Gentling attention to the present as it is unfolding moment to moment (beginner to advanced practice)
- MINDFULNESS MEDITATION: formal meditation that we set time aside for (beginner to advanced practice)
- MINDFULNESS OF DIFFICULT THOUGHTS AND FEELINGS: Consciously allowing thoughts and feelings, even difficult ones to arise without getting swept up by them (advanced practice)
When MINDFULNESS becomes a regular, enjoyable habit you are less likely to be affected by stress, anxiety and negative thinking.
In particular you may re-discover
- CLARITY: See things more clearly
- RESILIENCE: Recover quicker from stress
- INSIGHT: Make wiser choices
- SELF-COMPASSION: Not be so hard on yourself
Alison has been teaching and guiding the practice and lifestyle of mindfulness in groups, and privately since studying under the direction of Professor Emeritus of Medicine, Jon Kabat-Zinn at Mt Madonna in Northern California in 2007.
Jon developed the evidence-based 8-week group course Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) after skilfully and respectfully distilling eastern mindfulness and compassion practices for western audiences.
In 2010 Alison’s Brisbane MBSR Course was featured in an award-winning SBS documentary called The Silent Epidemic.
With Alison’s expert guidance and experience as an MBSR and mindfulness trainer, counsellor and yoga teacher you will become familiar with self-care techniques and lifestyle choices to help you to re-discover CLARITY, RESILIENCE, INSIGHT and SELF COMPASSION.