Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction Course (MBSR)
Throughout MBSR you will be consciously and systematically working with your own stress, pain and illness – and the challenges and demands of your everyday life in a safe and supportive environment.
You will find MBSR rewarding, enjoyable and at times even challenging as you learn practical, accessible ways to bring mindfulness and self-compassion into your everyday life learning through:
- Guided instruction in mindfulness meditation practices
- Gentle stretching and mindful movement
- Small and large group sharing and discussions aimed at enhancing awareness in everyday life
- Exploration of topics including stress physiology, managing difficult thoughts and feelings, interpersonal mindfulness and using mindfulness to better look after yourself
- Guidelines and resources including MP3 audio downloads for home practice
- In addition, there is an MBSR Full Day of practice usually between Session 6 and 7 the 8-week program
- Important: A key aspect of MBSR is the willingness and practical ability to engage in mindfulness practice between classes as homework to foster the new habit of mindfulness
Alison Keane has been facilitating the Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction Course (MBSR) in Queensland since 2007. Alison is one of only a small number of Australian mindfulness teachers accredited with the Center for Mindfulness in Medicine, Healthcare and Society (CFM) in the USA.
The CFM is involved in setting up global teaching standards. Alison’s Brisbane MBSR course was featured in the recent internationally-distributed and award winning SBS television documentary, The Silent Epidemic.
MBSR teacher, Alison Keane has trained under the direction of Professor of Medicine Emeritus, Jon Kabat-Zinn (2007) who developed the original MBSR course in 1979 at the University of Massachusetts Stress Reduction Clinic.
Alison has also undertaken study in management and organisational science (BBus, QUT) and a Psychotherapy Masters in group work facilitation, psycho-dynamics and clinical supervision (M SSc, QUT).